There are days when you really need to get away from the office and busy digital life to relax and contemplate on yourself and the greater world. As early as now, it seems that I have already reached that point in 2017. It s a good thing that one can always choose to have a staycation. This time, I am not going by myself. I am treating my favorite aunt to a staycation in Zamboanga City.
While I have countless close relatives in Zamboanga City where I can stay for free, I wanted to stay in a hotel as a form of relaxation away from work and for my aunt, who had a surgery back in October 2016. I wanted to treat her out for all the good things that she had done for me. She has been with me through all of my hardships since I was very young. It is only fitting that I treat her out to unwind and enjoy life’s pleasures. She is currently in Sulu, but we agreed to meet in Zamboanga City. I decided I was going to take her to the city's premiere residence away from home – Garden Orchid Hotel. Like any staycation, I needed to book the hotel as early as possible (a discount was also going to be appreciated).
Back in September 2016 when I and couple of international friends (Malaysian, Singaporean, and Indonesian), went to Singapore, my friend who booked the hotel used Traveloka App. She was boasting that she could grab discounts for us and that it was more convenient to book using this app. That was the first time that I heard about Traveloka. It showed me how this app was being used across the Southeast Asian region – and Filipinos were missing out.
Most of the time, I go directly to the hotel’s website to book for my stay. Sometimes, I would go as far as calling the hotel. But it can be such a hassle. Plus, I hate visiting a website using my phone. So this time, I was going to try Traveloka to book our stay, not just for convenience but also for the chance to grab discounts.
On to the hotel…
I chose Garden Orchid Hotel for so many reasons. One of them is the location. Upon my arrival from my flight from Tawi-Tawi, I can immediately get to the hotel because it is extremely close to the airport. I am not even kidding. I am not planning of going out of the hotel for our entire stay. Moreover, the amenities of the hotel are also very promising, with a lot of restaurants just around the corner. What I am excited about is to spend the whole day splashing with my aunt at the hotel’s pool with my burkini! Haha!
Here’s how I booked my hotel using the Traveloka App in seven easy steps:
1. Download and install the app, which is available in Android and IOS.
2.After you downloaded and installed the app, you will see the dashboard with two tabs: Flights, Hotels, etc.
3. Press on HOTELS and type in your destination, check-in date, duration, guests and number of rooms. For me, I typed Zamboanga City, etc. Press SEARCH.
4. You will be taken to a page with suggestions of hotels in the said destination. In this page, you will be able to see the discounted rates of the hotels. Choose your hotel and preferred room by tapping on it.
6. You will see the Payment page. You will have a variety of payment options such as credit/debit card, over-the-counter in 7-11 or M Lhuillier, or bank transfer for BDO, BPI, Chinabank, Landbank and Metrobank. (Take note: There is a time limit for each payment option, and it will be shown in the app! So, I advise you to pay as soon as possible to get the room and rate you prefer!).
7. If you have made the payment, the hotel voucher will be presented in the app, and emailed to you as well. Be sure to bring valid IDs upon checking in the hotel.
For this particular hotel booking, I saved Php 1, 354.49 by using Traveloka. SWEET!!! Now, I am looking forward to spending time with my aunt. I will keep you all posted on how we enjoyed the staycation on my Instagram!